It was my sister Melanie’s birthday yesterday. Tim and I gave her a homemade pinboard. I used up some leftover bright fabrics and made a pocket for it on the front.
A few months ago I posted a pin board from on the Craft Apple Blog. It was my inspiration but I didn’t have a whole lot of energy the day I made Melly’s board so I didn’t end up following those instructions at all.
I ended up sewing the pocket fabric to my main fabric and using heat and bond to stick the fabric to the board. I then flipped it over and folded the edges back. I tidied up the back by using heat and bond to stick a back panel onto the board. That didn’t work as well as I had hoped but it is just the back.
I then pinned a ribbon around the edge allowing a little extra at the top so that Mel can hang it on the wall. This looked all good until the next morning when I realised that when ironing the fabric onto the cork the cork swells due to the steam. Overnight the board had shrunk and the ribbon became too loose. So, using pliers I pulled all the pins out and did it again!
Well, the board looks quite nice and I hope Melly likes it!